With many looking for the opportunity to work overseas, Australia always comes as one of the first options, due to the climate, high salaries, and great lifestyle! Strangely enough, oftentimes there aren’t enough qualified Australians to fill the demand of employers and for that reason, they often sponsor skilled people from overseas.
The 482 Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) visa is designed to allow employers to address this issue and bring trained workers into Australia. But how easy is it to be sponsored in Australia under the 482 TSS Visa?
The short answer is, it depends as The 482 TSS Visa requires 3 steps:
1. A sponsorship application by the employer, which gives him the ability to sponsor a worker
2. a nomination for the needed skilled position by the employer, and
3. a visa application by the person who will fill the position
Also, the position that you will fill needs to be listed in the Skilled Occupation List, and you will need to have the qualifications and work experience appropriate for the profession.
As the 482 TSS visa can also be a great opportunity if you are planning to stay in Australia in the long term, we listed below all you will have to know to be sponsored in Australia!
Understanding the TSS 482 visa
The 482 Temporary Skilled Shortage (TSS) visa, also known as sponsor visa, was introduced by the Australian government as a replacement for the 457 visa.
What can you do on the TSS 482 Visa?
The 482 TSS visa allows you to work full-time in the nominated job for the sponsoring employer and stay in Australia for 2 years through the Short-term stream, or up to 4 years through Medium-term stream.
Also, it allows you to travel freely in and out of Australia as much as you need for the duration of the visa.
TSS visa applicants can also include dependents, such as de facto partners, husband/wife, children and more.
TSS 482 streams
The Short-Term Stream
If your occupation is on the Short-Term Skilled Occupations List (STSOL) could be eligible for visas lasting up to two years and can be extended for another two years.
The Medium & Long-Term Stream and Regional Stream
If your profession is on the Medium and Long-Term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) or the Regional Occupation List (ROL) you will be able to apply for a visa with duration of up to 4 years (with eligibility for permanent residency after 3 years, depending if you meet the age, English, Health and Character requirements);
Labour agreement stream
This stream is for skilled workers nominated by employers who have a Labour Agreement. It allows you to live and work in Australia for up to 4 years.
How do I apply for a TSS visa (subclass 482)?
As mentioned before, the application is divided into three stages.
1 – Standard business sponsorship (SBS)
In order to hire a TSS visa applicant, a company must first become a Standard Business Sponsor. A legal and active activity in Australia is required to obtain a Standard Business Sponsorship agreement. This involves determining the right ABN to apply under, registering the business name, submitting Business Activity Statements (BAS) and financial statements, as well as demonstrating a contribution to educating Australian citizens and permanent residents and adhering to workplace and other Australian rules.
2 – Nomination
Following the submission of an SBS application, an employer shall appoint a position within their company as one that must be filled by a foreign person. Different steps must be fulfilled as part of this stage:
Labour Market Testing
A company must show that they have checked the labour market before nominating an individual for a TSS visa.
Demonstrating that the company unsuccessfully advertised for the nominated spot is part of labour market testing. As part of the application, evidence would be required, and the evidentiary criteria are very clear:
In most cases, two ads put during the last four months for a minimum of 28 days will suffice; but, in some cases, this will not be enough, and further documentation will be needed. Also is important to note that there are several exceptions to this condition.
The nominated position’s remuneration needs to satisfy two conditions:
- The remuneration must be greater than the Income Threshold for Temporary Skilled Migration (TSMIT). The DIBP sets this threshold per year, which is now $53,900 plus superannuation.
- The recommended pay must be competitive for the position. This means that the applicant can be compensated fairly in comparison to Australian workers in similar positions.
Also, it is worth noting that certain professions may have caveats that set a minimum remuneration standard that is higher than TSMIT.
The 482 TSS visa comes with a new Skilling Australians Fund (SAF) levy that must be charged at the nomination stage. The SAF levy increases the cost of nominating workers from overseas for a business.
Below are the sums due for each applicant:
- The fee will be determined based on the number of years the visa is required, as specified in the nomination, which will be paid in full at this time.
- A small company with less than $10 million in annual revenue would cost $1,200 per nomination and year for a TSS visa. A big corporation would pay $1,800 per year for each candidate.
If you are applying for a 4 year visa, all the annual fees must be paid at the time of the application.
3 – Visa application
The visa application is the third step in the process, during which the applicant must show that they have the required competence level for their career, as well as satisfy health and character criteria.
Requirements of the TSS 482 Visa
To be eligible for this 482 visa, you must also meet the following requirements:
When applying for the 482 TSS visa, the position you are going to fill must be listed as an occupation on the Skilled Occupation List.
You must have the necessary qualifications to apply for this visa.
The specific qualifications needed vary depending on the profession, and you can find the qualifications needed for your profession on the ANZSCO code column when searching for your profession in the Skilled Occupation List.
The Department of Home Affairs (formerly DIBP) uses the Australian New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations to determine if the nominated occupation accurately reflects the duties of the position (ANZSCO).
On top of your qualification, all 482 TSS visa applicants must also have a minimum of 2 years of job experience in their chosen position. Also, the job description, work experience and educational background must match the ANZSCO description for the position.
Home Affairs case officers will cross-reference the job summary included in the application with the visa applicant’s credentials and experience references when assessing a TSS visa applicant’s skills and qualifications against the nominated position.
Applicants that are not from an english speaking country (the United Kingdom, the United States, Canada, New Zealand, or Ireland) must also fulfil English language requirements when applying for the 482 TSS visa.
Health and Character Requirements
You must also meet Health and character requirements. If you resided for 12 months or more in another country other than your own, within the past 10 years, you will also need a police clearance certificate. This is valid for every member that will join you in the visa as well and is above 16 years old.
Other requirements of this visa are
- You must not have had a visa revoked or denied.
- You must be willing to sign the Australian values statement
- Any family members you want to include in your application will need to meet health and character requirements.
- Also, you and your family must not owe money to the Australian government.
Also, you must not have not have contravened any legislation around paying for visa sponsorship.
Who pays for the costs of the 482 TSS visa?
The employer must pay for all costs associated with becoming a sponsor and nominating and sponsoring a person for a certain profession. The employer can’t transfer these costs to the visa holder or their family members.
Also, the government won’t refund these costs if the application is not successful. You can view the costs that have to be paid by the employer in this link.
The costs of the visa application (and legal fees if you or your employer are using a migration agent) don’t have to be paid by the employer.
Documents required for your 482 TSS visa application
These include, but are not limited to:
- evidence of English language proficiency;
- documents confirming your identity, such as a passport and details if you changed your name
- the outcome of your skill assessment
- If no qualifications testing is needed, you must demonstrate your certifications, any registrations/licenses, a former employer guide, and/or your CV.
- a wellness certificate
- evidence of health insurance cover in Australia for the lenght of your stay
- Evidence that you meet the Character requirement,, such as a police certificate from each country that you lived in for at least 12 months.
- Partner documents, such as identification, character, and a valid marriage certificate or evidence of de facto partnership.
- You would need to have current passport information, birth records, and perhaps character documentation for each dependent that will be travelling with you.
482 TSS visa cost
The cost of this visa ranges from AU$1,265 for a two-year short-term stream to AU$2,645 for a four-year medium-term stream. The visa for your partner will cost you AU$1,265.
Obligations of 482 TSS visa subclass holders
- You’ll need to keep an appropriate level of health insurance while in Australia
- You must also work in the job you have applied for. In general, this means:
- Only work in the field for which your visa has been granted. You must apply for and be issued a new TSS 482 visa to work in a different occupation.
- Only work for the company that selected you for the role unless you have an exemption
- not take a break from work for more than 60 days in a row
- If needed, hold licences, registrations, or memberships, to practise in the selected occupation.
- you must continue to obliged with your character requirements
Can I get a Permanent Residency through the 482 TSS visa?
The 482 TSS visa can lead to permanent residency in Australia through the 186 visa. You must satisfy the permanent residency standards, which include age, language, and other factors.
What other work visa options are available?
If you have a position on the Skilled Occupation List, you may be able to apply for other visas. Depending on the selected profession and on your case, other options can include the Skilled Nominated Visa (190), Skilled Independent Visa(189), and many others. Make sure to contact us or see our guides for more info!